Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What to Eat ---- Day 1

I studied the Word of Wisdom and did some research online. I have a lot more of studying and praying to do. I'm not finished with that aspect of this program. But for now it is pretty straight forward.
ANYTHING THAT IS EDIBLE AND HEALTHY AND IS PLANT BASED IS FOR US TO EAT.
Really it is that simple.
All wholesome herbs
Every herb in the season thereof
Every fruit in the season thereof
Flesh of the beasts and of the fowls of the air...sparingly...used only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
All grain, to be the staff of life
Fruit of the vine, whether in the ground or above the ground
Wheat for man
And it is repeated several times that these are to be used with thanksgiving!

So like I said, plants - pretty much anything edible that is not poisonous.
Well, that leaves me with a lot of variety.
I am thinking also, that the more raw plants I can eat the better that will be for me. I need to eat them in their most nutritious and natural state. I need to start sprouting. I know that if you can eat plants that are alive you can get the most nutrition out of them.
I can see a few problems here for me personally. I like hot food and that isn't as healthy. But this is certainly going to be easy to prepare and shop for.

Years ago, my husband and I studied with a clinic of Seventh Day Adventists. They have a unique diet also. They told us that they try to eat as they would have in the Garden of Eden. They believe that someday they will be back in that kind of environment, like that is what heaven will be like so they need to practice eating like that now. I have never forgotten that. It makes sense.

So how did I do today? I did well as far as the kind of food I ate. But as far as weight reduction goes I ate far too much.
For breakfast I had 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich. (that was natural pb on whole wheat bread)
For lunch I had 2 bowls of homemade vegetable soup (it has a little bit of beef in it) and whole wheat bread and multi grain crackers.
For dinner I had salad greens with some cheese and celery with peanut butter and raisins. I also had some almond butter.
I really ate way too much. I need to work on proportion size and shrink my stomach.
I also need to pray and think about dairy products. There are tons of research out there that says it is very bad for you. I have cut out milk as a drink, but giving up eggs, cheese and butter are difficult for me. I have heard one opinion that part of the reason eating animals is against the word of wisdom is because animals have souls. Well, using their milk and by-products from that doesn't seem wrong then. But if it is unhealthy for me, I need to find a way to give it up. For now, however, I don't see a need for that. I'll keep thinking about that one.


I feel much more at peace for eating like this. I don't carry the guilt of fueling my body with a bunch of junk. I have decided to try to eat at home this year and not go out for meals. I'm not sure I can do that, but I will at least limit my meals out. That has always been one of my favorite things to do so that is a big sacrifice for me. The other thing is I've decided to do is go to bed earlier. I think this will help my night time eating habits. I get tired and tend to fall asleep in the evening anyway. Why not just go to bed? I am starting tonight. To bed by 9:00. And I will make myself get up when I wake up!

So much of this has to do with making plans. When I know I may be in a tricky situation I merely need to bring my food with me. Like those birthday parties, I brought my own sugar free cookies. It worked really well.
That's it for now. See you tomorrow.
Heaven help me...

No comments:

Post a Comment