Monday, January 11, 2010

Heaven help me!

Okay, so I'm no nutritionist or dietitian. I'm just an ordinary person that has had a weight problem most of my life. Since my wedding day and after having six children, I gained a total of 83 lbs. I've lost some of that, thankfully, over the last 5 years, but I still feel like a total failure in this aspect of my life. I have bought diet books and videos and DVDs of most every diet on the market over the years. Nothing has worked permanently for me. My story is no different than so many others. What is different about my story from many others is that all this time I have had a diet available to me that I have totally overlooked and ignored.
Today I turn to my scriptures. I am turning to the place I should have been looking all along; Doctrine and Covenants, Section 89. In this section you will find the Lord's diet and there are some pretty amazing promises at the end of it.
I am challenging myself to live this diet (I"ll call it the Mormon Diet) for one year. I am using this year to see if the promises are real and if I can finally get to that place I have always longed to be: HEALTHY!

Step One-
Study, ponder and pray about this important scripture to receive as much inspiration as I can about what I should eat.
I'll be making a list tomorrow.

A few stats...
I am 5' 5.5"
I weigh 188 lbs.
I have diabetes, a few allergies (dust, mold), otherwise in good health
Last spring I began running/jogging but in Aug. my knee started swelling up so I haven't done much exercise since.
I'm 59 years old.
I'm currently unemployed. I used to be a stay at home mom and then a teacher.
I have six children/13 grandchildren
I am single (been single for 14 yrs.)
I have been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 32 years.

Now, today the challenge begins.
Can I stay on the Lord's diet for 1 year and will I be blessed with the promises listed in Section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants????

No comments:

Post a Comment