Friday, January 22, 2010

Exercise

I HATE TO EXERCISE. Just let me repeat that. I HATE TO EXERCISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that is a terrible thing to say, but I really do. And quite frankly I get kind of sick to my stomach when I hear others saying how much they love it. Well maybe not sick, just jealous. It took me a long time, months and months to actually get to the place that I loved to run. And I did get there...eventually. Ahhh, those were the good times. (And I am sure I was one of those obnoxious people because I couldn't stop talking about all the benefits and how wonderful it was to be running - so annoying to some, I am sure) I started running when I was 59 years old. I never, ever thought I could do that.
I was in UT visiting my oldest son and my next oldest son came for a visit. He told me I HAD to start running. I had never run in my whole life so at 59, well, that didn't seem to be the right time to start. But he got me out there and I thought I was going to die. Really, I couldn't get my breath and I thought that that residential subdivision would be the last view I had of life. But I didn't die. And he reminded me that I WAS breathing. Within weeks I was running a full mile without stopping and then shortly after, 2 miles! It was a miracle. I still hated to do it, but when I got done I felt incredible. Like I had accomplished the most fantastic and amazing thing. It was a real high. I felt so good about myself. I kept on running two miles a day and four miles once a week for a long time. Then my knee started to swell. It swelled up quite big and was painful. I had no choice but to stop. I waited for it to heal. It took a long time. I got out of the routine and was afraid it would cause permanent damage to begin again. So I haven't exercised for a long, long time, months.
Maybe I'm just lazy. I watch the "Biggest Loser" and watch them sweat and push through the pain and think, that does not look like fun.
Aw man, I have to get going on that aspect. And now it is winter and that makes walks near impossible where I live. You sow what you reap and I'm reaping a bigger tummy and thicker thighs - not exactly the look I'm after...

2 comments:

  1. Again, great post! I can tell you're really starting to find your voice and I like it a lot! One thing that my doctor told me about my knee problems was that I needed to strengthen my legs more. I think this might be part of your problem too. We'll talk more about.

    Can I share your blog with friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really care who reads this blog. I just hope they understand it is of very little substance.

    ReplyDelete