Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Days 33-36 - Feb.13 - 16, 2010

I've been pretty busy lately. I haven't written in awhile. I made a big turkey dinner for Valentine's Day. It seemed appropriate. I loved the smell in the house and it reminded me of many happy times feasting around a table with loved ones, laughing and talking...
My granddaughter said it was sad that a turkey had to die for us to have it for dinner. I thought she was really right about that. What used to be my favorite meal was not such a pleasure this time. All I tasted was grease and all I could think of was that poor turkey living in some dark barn somewhere, never having any life at all so I could cook him up someday. I felt heavy and weighed down. I felt kind of sick after indulging in that meal although I really only took just a little meat.
In the beginning when I contemplated becoming a vegetarian or vegan, I always considered it the healthiest way to eat. I didn't care so much about the suffering of animals. I didn't think about that at all. But now, when I want to eat meat, I see all that suffering and cruelty and think I really don't want to be a part of that anymore. Not only is it not healthy to eat meat, I believe, it just isn't morally right either.

No comments:

Post a Comment