Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 23 - Feb.3, 2010

I've been at this 3 weeks. I'm not so sure I'm seeing any real results as far as health issues go (although I am losing less hair- yay!). I think you can eat all the right things and still not be healthy if you over do it. I mean too much of anything is usually a bad thing. Yah, I don't think too much praying would be so bad. (: There are obvious exceptions to that rule. Too much kindness? Mmmm, going to have to ponder those issues later.
You see, in section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, verse 11 it says, "...all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving."
In the thesaurus it uses these synonyms for prudence: good judgment, common sense, farsightedness, caution, carefulness, good management, careful budgeting, sparingness, thrifty.
I have to believe Heavenly Father never intended for his children to binge on food. We have been told many times to be temperate, using moderation as our guidance.
1 Cor. 9:25 - "And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things."
Alma 7:23 - "And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive."
I love that last scripture in particular. It really says it all, the perfect list of what we need to do to be happy and return home to Heavenly Father. Note that temperance is a part of that.
Then in D&C 59:16-20 we read (I'll just give you some of the highlights), "Yea, and the herb, and the good things which come of the earth, whether for food or for raiment, ... Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart; Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion."
Okay, it is really a matter of common sense to use prudence when we eat. Don't over do it. That can be wasteful and harmful to everyone. I think I understand that. Giving up meat is not nearly as hard as giving up eating too much. How sad that food has become such an enemy to me and my waistline. It was never supposed to be like that.
I am realizing that the real issues and lessons to be learned here for me are not what I originally expected. I thought when I started this that giving up meat would be the hardest part for me. I really love meat. But giving up meat (for every meal), drugs, alcohol, smoking, coffee, tea? Not a big deal ! Giving up those big, filling portions - difficult and oh so important. I'm working on that. All day, I looked at food and the amount I wanted to take. Then I dished myself up half of that. I'm afraid in some cases, it was still too much. I gave into my urges a couple of times, too much soup, too much popcorn, but it's a turn in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment